John L West
Chief Executive Officer at Cottonwood Partners
B.A., Physics, Brigham Young University, Utah
Mr. West has been responsible for over $1.5 billion of real estate transactions in his career, for nearly all types of real properties in most major markets in the U.S. The types of investment structures have included equity, debt, hybrid debt, layered financings, tax exempt financings, securitized financings, off-shore financings, and combinations of the above.
- Managing Director of Cottonwood Partners since 1996, where Mr. West has been directly responsible for the acquisition of over 2,500,000 square feet of office space in joint ventures and/or as advisor to large investors. Mr. West was also directly responsible for the planning and development of the Cottonwood Corporate Center in Salt Lake City, a 970,000 square foot office park.
- Co-Founder and Managing Partner of Zenistar Partners, a Chicago based real estate investment and development firm.
- Senior Vice President, Director of Acquisitions, Member of the Investment and Operating Committees, The Balcor/American Express Company, a real estate investment and management firm controlling over $8 billion in real estate assets, including more than 60,000 multi-family apartment units. Mr. West had direct responsibility for investing over $1 billion and as a member of an investment committee financing an additional $1.5 billion in financing.
- President & CEO of Balcor/Shearson Lehman International Realty Company, Inc., a real estate company with investment advisory accounts consisting of over $100 million and real estate investment and management accounts consisting of over $350 million.
- Vice President, Stockholder, and Associate National Director of Real Estate Syndication at Kidder, Peabody & Co., Inc., with the responsibility for financing over $500 million of rental residential, retail, and office properties.